Astrill | Review and pricing
Astrill VPN review: lets quickly check the features of The Best VPN; torrent friendly, easy to use, shared VPN, video recording and smart mode. Founded in 2009 in Seychelles, Astrill VPN is one of the first VPNs to enter the arena and is most suitable for people who provide remote support via Skype etc. This is also excellent for general people who surf the web for personal purposes. One of my friends in China is using it to provide remote support for 5 years now and is elated how well it works.
Astrill, an interesting VPN
I decided to give it a try as well and now I am a satisfied user myself. Astrill VPN offers a lot of features which the competitors don't, like
Virtual Servers and actual servers in the main country. (ex. Italy via USA)
The Best VPN charges a bare minimum for its services. Let's check the costs.
The Best VPN doesn't offer monthly subscription, the minimum subscription period is of 3 months. It is suggested that you check the official website of The Best VPN where you can find the rate details and the reimbursement policy the company offers.
VPN Astrill cost
You can subscribe for The Best VPN without any credit card but of course, you will not be offered the complete functionalities. For example, you can't get server from every cuntry. If your desired country is not included in the free version, like Italy is not included, you can't use it as extensively as you want to. The Best VPN offers a free trial version for 7 days without any credit card. You can either buy or cancel it after 7 days.
If you purchase a subscription for 2 years, you get the best value for your money. Not only you get all the benefits and total customer support for 2 years but also you get Pro Addon which alllows 2 devices to connect to the VPN. And you also get a free router worth USD 30!!
If you want, you can easily use this router for other VPNs or other purposes.
If for nothing, I would suggest, get the 2 years' plan just to get this free router!!
Add on supplementary
For a minimum cost, you can get added features like NatFirewal, VPN sharing, multi login and more. You can choose the particular feature and pay monthly for it.
Astrill VPN features list:
|Encryption||Military 256 bit|
|Protocols||OpenVPN (TCP, UDP), OpenWeb, L2TP-IPsec,PPTP|
|Devices Supported||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, router, Linux|
|OpenVPN Support||Support per SSL-based OpenVPN protocol 256-bit data encryption.|
|Support Type||24/7 mail, chat, ticket, remote desktop|
|Money back guarantee||Refund within 7 days, after the trial use if it does not work.|
|Nations covered||55+ countries|
|Multi Login||No(1), 5 add on can be paid a part.|
Let's look at the overview of the functionality details of Astrill
The option menu depends on what type protocol is being used. Depending on the type of connection you are establishing and the protocol you are using, the menu changes.
Options available are
OpenWeb (an encrypted tunnel from the browser, not from the pc), OpenVPN and StealthVPN (as openVPN, but with a double level of encryption for surfing the web without restriction in China, UAE, Syria, Iran etc).
More details on the functions further below.
The Best VPN has an intuitive nation selection and overall interface
All the protocols have the same main screen, after login you can then select the nation.
- Little star: means that on that server you can do Torrent and P2P
- If it is grey it means it is not available for your account (so basically in the 7 days trail period where everything aren't accessible)
- On the right side, you can find the country to emulate, and further options.
- The suggested ones are marked as optimised. For example if you are in Italy and need a USA IP you will select USA, optimised for Europe.
- Virtual servers are available. For example there is Italy via Dallas or Italy via Seattle, if you want to watch American TV shows.
Astrill VPN OpenWeb: Function and Settings
If you surf in OpenWeb mode, only your browser will be encrypted. This is particularly helpful if you don’t want to use a different IP Address whilst using an application.
Astrill VPN OpenWeb has many functions, the main ones are:
- To decide which port to use to pass the traffic data
- Setting up a proxy
- Ad-blocker to block banners or popups
- OpenWeb Sharing
- Media recorder : when activated it is possible to catch a streaming video and save it to your PC (like youtube or vimeo videos)
- To decide in which browser to activate the tunneling
- To decide if the tunneling VPN encryption is only on some website or on all…
- Advanced options cover Flash Player to get faster youtube video playback and auto deletion of the cookies.
Astrill VPN OpenVPN: Function and Settings
OpenVPN is the protocol used throughout the The Best VPN application. When you are connected to this protocol, the entire PC including all software will run and surf the internet through encryption.
The Best VPN has more functionality available through the OpenVPN, the most interesting are :
- DNS management: You can choose each application you want and select on DNS leak fix which means how many DNS stay in memory in Windows. (read our guide explaining how to empty the cache “here“)
- App tunneling : Choose which applications pass through VPN
- Port Forward : Check and change if a port is open or not (example the torrent ones)
- Port OpenVPN : Choose to surf in faster UDP or in more secure TCP.
- Kill Switch :If the internet is disconnected for a while, you can avoid your data being transferred.
- The Best VPN OpenVPN: Suggested if you are in China, Syria, or other nation under censorship as it offers double layer of encryption.
- The Best VPN VPN Sharing (add on pack to be bought separately)
Astrill VPN StealthVPN: Function and Settings
This option doesn’t exist in other VPN.
Pratically, if your pc is connected to Wifi, your pc can be your router (with Wifi). You can share your internet connection to other devices, if you are the VPN server.
HELP voice of The Best VPN
Clicking on the Help will enlarge the icon and you can access manuals, guides, tools to test your internet connection, tool to run ping test on different servers, tool to check the client side log and other analytical tools.
Additionally, The Best VPN offers automatic configuration after firmware update. So, if you have installed a modified firmware on your router, the changes will automatically reflect in your PC and you will not need to do anything.
The Best VPN is a brilliant VPN, offering more features compared to other traditional players in the market. Tunnelling management, web and software, for the connection and disconnection is a great feature. Location emulation for different countries is pretty cool as well. Port forwarding with support for torrents is another great feature from them.
However, if you don't buy the Pro add-on, you don't get the multi-access feature which is a turn-off. It is also not possible to test the server in the 7 days trial version.